Monday, June 16, 2014

Wait, What's my Motivation?

Proverbs 16
2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight,
But the Lord weighs the motives.

What’s my motivation. I was a Theatre major for most of High School and my first year of College. One of the things an actor has to decide is his character’s motivation in a scene. What’s driving that character to act and react the way he does, and what drives him to say the things he says. What’s my motivation?

I’m reading, or rather re-reading, The Call by Oz Guiness. The chapter I’m on now is about living before an audience of One: living your life to truly please one person- God. That chapter and this verse have me really wondering: What’s my motivation? Who am I trying to please? I can rationalize pretty much anything, but God will weigh my motives.

If we live to please others, then we must be prepared to always be shooting at a moving target, since other’s opinions and tastes are sure to change. If we live to please God, then it cuts out all those hoops we find ourselves jumping through during the week, and the audience we seek is unchanging, and actively involved in seeing us succeed.

So, this week, I’d like to encourage you to consider your motivation: Is it to please men/women, or is it to please God? As I write this, I’m struck with how simple life would be, how peaceful it could be, to truly live before an audience of One.

No comments:

Post a Comment