Thursday, June 5, 2014

Living Life in a Straightjacket

Proverbs 5
22 His own iniquities will capture the wicked,
And he will be held with the cords of his sin.

Harry Houdini. I remember first hearing about Houdini. Harry Houdini was an escape artist; he was a legendary escape artist. What bound him was irrelevant. He would bust out; he would break free from the chains or the straight jacket that held him. As a kid, I thought that was pretty cool.

As an adult, I think it’s bloody amazing. My body doesn’t bend like it did when I was a kid. And I also now realize that what made Houdini great was that he was unique. Busting free from bonds is difficult. It takes special skill, or physical abnormality in some cases, for escape artists to make their work go off without a hitch.

So my thought today is, Am I bound? Sin will bind us; iniquity will capture us. I think you can be a Christian and be bound, but I also think it’s akin to living life wearing a straightjacket. For those of us that aren’t Houdini, there’s only two options: Jesus or straightjacket. Jesus can get you out of the bonds; he can set you free from your captivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment