Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Let Your Attitude Get the Best of You



Proverbs 17
22 A joyful heart is good medicine,
But a broken spirit dries up the bones.

As I write this, I’m fighting a cold.  By the way, how is it in any way acceptable to go all winter without getting sick, riding a motorcycle all winter to and from work in freezing cold temps, and now that it’s hot I get sick?  I’m taking cold medicine and nasal sprays and anything else I can think of to try to get over this thing quick.  Honestly, I blame my Pastor.  That’s right buddy, I blame You.  I was healthy as I could be until after church on Sunday.

You see, last Sunday Pastor preached on slowing down, and even stopping and waiting on God.  I’m not good at slowing down.  I don’t do slow.  I do all in.  I do fast, efficient, and logical.  I don’t do slow; slow makes me mad.  And I hardly ever do stop. 

But, his sermon last Sunday challenged me.  I wanted to slow down.  I wanted to stop and wait for God.  I wanted to go at God’s pace, instead of mine.  And then I got sick.  And now I’m going slowly.  I’m thinking slowly; I’m walking slowly; I’m reacting slowly.  I’m reading slowly, and then I run into this verse.  I’m taking cold meds, but there is a better medicine, one that’s often overlooked when I’m at my normal pace: a joyful heart. 

So, today, I pray that God will fill your heart with the Joy of His Salvation, that the warmth of His love would follow you, and that He restores you.

No comments:

Post a Comment