Monday, July 21, 2014

There's work, and then there's Work

Matthew 7:
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

I remember my first real job.  When I say real job, I mean my first job that was hard work.  I'd mowed grass and stuff, but that wasn't really all that bad.  Mow some grass, make a little cash.  No biggie.  No, my first real job was hanging dry wall with my papaw.  That was Work.  It was hot, it was sweaty, it was hard, it was tiring.  I still remember how hard it was to hold those pieces of sheet-rock up on the ceiling of a room while my papaw did his best to get the piece screwed into ceiling before my arms gave out.  

Mowing grass earned me some money, but I didn't really consider it work.  Hanging sheet-rock was a whole different matter.  I earned a lot more money, but man, it was harder work.  This section of the book of Matthew kind of goes along with the same theme.  There's work, but then there's Work. 

There's two types of work described in these verses.  The one group did all kinds of amazing things: they cast out devils, they almost certainly healed the sick, and they gave good words of encouragement or even prophetic statements.  But what did Jesus think of their work? 

The second instance of work: can you find it? "24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:"  The work that Jesus really found impressive was not the flash stuff, the big stuff that gets the attention of the crowds.  The work that really impressed Jesus was simply hearing what Jesus said and then doing what Jesus said.  He compares those who do those things with wise men, master builders, those who's work stands up to the storms of life.  

There's nothing wrong with mowing grass, and there's nothing wrong with working for the Lord.  But, I think what Jesus finds more impressive is following him and obeying him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment