Friday, July 4, 2014

Distractions and Habits

Proverbs 4
25 Let your eyes look directly ahead
And let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
26 Watch the path of your feet
And all your ways will be established.
27 Do not turn to the right nor to the left;
Turn your foot from evil.

Birds singing right outside the window, kids playing and laughing and talking, dogs barking, the TV, the radio. It seems like they are all pulling at me at some point or another. It’s easy, at least for me, to get distracted. It’s easy to get my eyes off God, and onto things and situations.

I wish I had a secret trick to stay focused: some kind of process or button I could press to get straightened back out. The closest thing I can think of is habit. Habits are powerful, and they don’t have to be bad. You can have good habits, too.

Make it a habit to get in the word every day. Make it a habit to look to God and to ignore distractions. Make it a habit to trust and hope in Him. Make a habit of stepping back each day and recalibrating your life to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment