Saturday, May 31, 2014

Like Mike


Proverbs 31
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel,
It is not for kings to drink wine,
Or for rulers to desire strong drink,


Michael Jordan was a basketball legend.  I was just a little kid when he was playing ball, but I remember that there was something amazing about how he played the game.  He made me want to dunk the ball.  I’d try and I’d jump and one day I finally touched the net.  So I kept trying and I kept jumping and one day I finally touched the backboard.  But no matter what I did, I couldn’t touch the rim, nevermind ever actually dunking the ball like Mike.  I can’t be like Mike and dunk the ball. 


I can’t drink, either.  Well, technically I can.  I’ve done it, and been pretty successful at it.  Some folks can drink, scripture doesn’t expressly forbid drinking, and that’s good for them.  But for me, I can’t be the dad I need to be, the husband, the godly example, the godly man I need to be and drink.  It trips me up and gets my focus off God.  It’s hard to explain.  Something in my spirit just isn’t at peace with it, so I can’t do it.  No biggie.  I can’t dunk either.

2 comments: