Thursday, May 29, 2014

By the power of Grayskull

Proverbs 29
19 A slave will not be instructed by words alone;
For though he understands, there will be no response.

That's right my friends: He-Man. When I was a kid, He-Man was king. If you’re not familiar with it, Google it. You’ll thank me later. I had the little action figures. I even had the He-Man castle: Grayskull. It had a drawbridge and trap door. It was awesome. There was even a movie. There’s this one scene in the movie where He-Man is getting whipped by one of Skeletor's minions with a whip. Not just lashes from any whip, but lashed with a laser whip. A laser whip! Total awesome.

This verse got me thinking: Has God ever whipped you? He’s whipped me. Not with a laser whip, but with pain, and with the consequences of my actions. Has God ever whipped you? Just like a good parent will discipline their child, I believe God disciplines us so that we’ll not forget the lesson he’s teaching. What's the best thing to do in that situation? Respond. God doesn’t discipline us to show us how big and bad he is. All creation already does that. He doesn’t even do it so we’ll feel bad and remorseful. If you have a true understanding of sin, you probably already feel those emotions. He does it to bring about a response. Sometimes without pain, we'll understand, but not respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment