Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Guitars, Drums and Rock and Roll

Proverbs 28
4 Those who forsake the law praise the wicked,
But those who keep the law strive with them.

I love playing music. It’s just been a part of me for such a long time. My mom says I could play the guitar when I was 4 or 5. My grandpa bought me a little guitar and taught me how to play chords. I picked it up again when I was 12 or 13 and it’s been with me ever since. My favorite music: rock music. I knew every Nirvana song by heart as a teenager. Taught myself to play drums by listening to Dave Grohl on Nirvana albums. My favorite guitarist for a long time was Slash of GNR fame. Me + Rock Music = Peanut butter + Jelly. True story.

But God kept nagging at me. Keeps nagging at me. Who do you praise? As musicians go, I wasn’t praising godly men. We’ve all got our flaws, but most rock stars seem to revel in theirs. And that made it easier to revel in mine. I had a hard time reconciling my musical heroes with God’s word. So, my thought for the day- Who do you praise, and who do you strive against? It’s something I have to keep working on, but I have to make a daily choice to praise what God says is praiseworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment