Monday, July 7, 2014

Treasure Hunt

Proverbs 7
1 My son, keep my words
And treasure my commandments within you.
2 Keep my commandments and live,
And my teaching as the apple of your eye.
3 Bind them on your fingers;
Write them on the tablet of your heart.

I remember when I was a kid, my little brother, me, and my best friend who lived down the street would have Nerf battles. We had Nerf guns, Nerf Ball Canons, and even a Nerf Bow and Arrow. The battles were epic. We even mixed it up into a hide and go seek kind of game. One time my best friend hid in my little brother’s closet. We had been playing for a while, running around and being wild little kids. I guess he got too hot sitting in the closet waiting for my little brother to find him, and he passed out. He fell on my little brother’s Ninja Turtle Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Turtles game and crushed it. Was my little brother concerned that our friend had passed out and that something might be wrong? Nope. “Get off my toys.”

Like most little kids, his toys were his treasure, and I’ve been guilty of the same. I’ve treasured musical instruments, toys, and other things. But what if I treasured God’s word and his commandments? What if I treated his word as if it were a 1959 Les Paul ( a rare guitar worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and highly sought out in the guitar world). At the start of this new week, lets recalibrate what we regard as treasure, and turn our hearts and minds to God and his word.

No comments:

Post a Comment