Tuesday, July 8, 2014

God doesn’t Play Favorites

Proverbs 8
4 “To you, O men, I call,
And my voice is to the sons of men.

Gym class. Nothing sums up Middle School like gym class. A couple people were picked to be team captains, and then you had to wait, and sometimes wait a long time, to be picked for a team for whatever game we were playing. Kick ball, I was always picked early. Dodge ball, that’s a different story. I was always a little guy, so hurling a dodge ball at great speed wasn’t a strength of mine. But, regardless of which game we were playing, the cool kids got picked first. It was more of a “who do you like” more than “who is good at this game”. Kids pick their favorites, and a lot of times grownups pick their favorites. But does God play favorites?

This verse tells us that wisdom, and God himself, calls out to all men. The offer of wisdom, the offer of God’s Son is for anyone who will stop, listen, and receive. I think that’s important to note. The verse doesn’t say Israel and the Sons of Israel. It says men and the sons of men. Though the Hebrew people hold a special place in God’s plan, I think his call is to all men. He sent his Son so that all men could be reconciled to him. His Holy Spirit backed up that statement in Acts ch. 10 when he baptized the household of Cornelius.

So, my thought today is this: God’s call is to everyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re poor or rich, tall or short, thin or not so thin. Today, God is calling out to you. I pray that you’ll stop, listen, and receive what he has for you. He wants you on His team.

1 comment: